UKRAINE, May 21 — Ukraine has handed over evidence to the International Criminal Court concerning the alleged illegal deportation of more than 1,800 Ukrainian prisoners to Russia, Ruslan Kravchenko, Prosecutor General, said.

According to the investigation, in November 2022, Russian forces forcibly transferred more than 1,800 prisoners who had been detained in Ukrainian penitentiary facilities during Russia’s retreat from parts of the Kherson and Mykolaiv regions. The prisoners were reportedly transported through occupied Crimea before being moved to detention facilities inside Russia.

Investigators say the operation had been prepared in advance and included the seizure of Ukrainian prisons and the subsequent detention of prisoners on Russian territory.

Former prisoners and witnesses told investigators that Russian forces subjected detainees to beatings, torture, and psychological pressure. According to the investigation, prisoners were also forced to build defensive fortifications for the Russian military. Some were allegedly pressured into obtaining Russian citizenship and remained detained even after the expiration of their sentences.

The evidence submitted to the ICC is based on testimony from more than 400 victims and witnesses, as well as analyses of Russian court rulings, official documents, and responses from Russian state authorities.

The Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group also participated in collecting materials for the case.

Read more

  • Ukraine develops low-cost interceptor missiles to down Russian jet-powered Shahed drone, Defense Minister says 

⚡ The fifth year of the Russian full-scale invasion started, so it’s been four years since most of us here at our Kharkiv-based newsroom became war reporters. Please consider supporting our journalism via a one-time donation — or join our community.