KHARKIV, UKRAINE, Jan 26 — The missile attacks on 23 January killed 11 people.

A 61-year-old woman who was injured during the Russian shelling of Kharkiv on 23 January died in hospital. She had severe wounds, said the head of the Kharkiv Regional Military Administration, Oleh Syniehubov.

“As of today, 11 people have died as a result of Russian terror on 23 January, including an eight-year-old girl,” the statement said.

What is known about the shelling of Kharkiv on 23 January

On 23 January, at around 04:00 a.m., there were explosions in the city. According to Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov, the Russian army struck a residential and civilian area.

Around 07:14 a.m., the Russian army hit Kharkiv with missiles, residents heard at least six explosions. The missile attack destroyed the entrances to a multi-story building in the Kyivskyi district of Kharkiv. According to Oleh Syniehubov, rescuers are still searching for people under the rubble.

Ihor Terekhov also noted that the electricity shut down in one part of the city. The Kharkivoblenergo [a regional power distribution company in the Kharkiv region, owned by the state — ed.] specialists work on mitigating the issues with power. 

According to the head of Kharkiv regional police, Volodymyr Tymoshko, Russians hit Kharkiv twice in the same locations, injuring police officers who were sorting through the rubble in the aftermath of the first attack. 

At about 10:00 p.m. on January 23, the Russian army shelled Kharkiv for the third time in 24 hours. The missile attack wounded nine people, including a four-year-old girl. The shelling wounded a journalist from the Nakypilo media outlet, Anna Miasnykova. 

Read more: Russia Attacked Downtown Kharkiv — In Photos

During the third attack, the Russians hit the Kyivskyi and Kholodnohirskyi districts of Kharkiv. There is information that the Russian military used S-300 missiles. The missile attack damaged private houses, buildings of an educational institution, a postal and telecommunications company, cafes, and cars.